MMA was signed by President Bush in 2003. The MMA brought about sweeping changes that increased enrollment and improved access to Medicare Plans. Similarly, the PPACA was signed into law by President Obama in 2010. The law is expected to significantly increase access to Medicaid for the uninsured, low-income families, and individuals. Medicaid managed care has been implemented by most states, mainly because of rising costs, plan quality, access to providers, and the decrease in state revenues and federal matching funding. Medicare has explored managed care for the same reasons: to reduce costs, improve quality and improve access to providers. Using the South University Online Library or the Internet, research the following two topics and write a paper evaluating the impact of these policies on Medicare and Medicaid managed care.
You need to research on the following two topics:
- Medicare and managed care
- Medicaid and managed care
Based on your research, answer the following questions:
- Write a summary for each topic tying together the information learned about that topic.
- Analyze the challenges Medicaid faces in terms of improving access to care, quality of care, and reducing the cost of care.
- Analyze the challenges Medicare faces in terms of improving access to care, quality of care, and reducing the cost of care.
- Draw conclusions about the future of managed care in each program—will it grow or decline? What will be the challenges for success?
- Select at least four reputable articles per topic that address the challenges facing Medicare and Medicaid managed care.
Based on your research, summarize your findings on the selected topics and compile your observations in a 5 page Microsoft Word document.
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format