Health Information Patient Handout
One of the pivotal goals of consumer health literacy efforts is to design educational materials that attract as well as educate users. In this Assignment, you design a health information document on a topic that is of interest to you.
- Select a health issue of interest to you.
- Identify the audience or population that you seek to educate about this issue.
- Search the Internet to find credible sites containing information about your selected topic.
- Review the two health literacy websites listed in this week’s Learning Resources. Focus on strategies for presenting information.
- Design an educational handout on the health issue you selected.
- Include a cover page.
- Include an introduction that provides:
- An explanation of your issue and why you selected it
- A description of the audience you are addressing
- In the handout itself:
- Develop your handout in such a way that it attracts the attention of the intended audience.
- Include a description of the health issue and additional content that will enhance your message (i.e., key terms and definitions, graphics, illustrations, etc.).
- Recommend at least five sites that provide clear, valuable, and reliable information on the topic.
Note: Remember to keep the information in your health handout and its design at the appropriate level for the audience you are seeking to inform. Submit your Assignment as a Word document.
This Assignment is due by Day 4 of this week.
- Although the focus of this last assignment is on the handout (flyer) itself, as part of the requirements, you will provide an introduction in which you will explain the issue at hand as well as your targeted audience. You are likely to provide citations and references along that section. Thus, you will need to list those in the references list accordingly.
– APA format for cover Page, Introduction, and References list
– Creativity and informativeness in handout
– Meet all requirements
– Due by Day 4 (Thursday night, 11th)
– Handout must be in your file (no link to it), and the file must be Microsoft WORD (no PDF file).
– The grading rubric is different for this last assignment. I suggest you have a look at it (see in Course Information); you will then know what you will be graded on.
– Additional precisions:
- References list = not on the flyer since it refers to your text narrative (introduction, description of your audience, etc…) = usual RL.
- Recommended websites = intended for the flyer readers = on the flyer per se.
- Since the flyer is about information and making sure that it addresses its purpose and reaches the intended audience, no need for APA on the flyer, just clarity, good information, and originality (nothing copied on the Web or previous works).